FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Sparklight Donates 50 Chromebooks to Boys & Girls Clubs of the Permian Basin
August 23, 2023 – Odessa, Texas – In keeping with the company’s commitment to bridging the digital divide in the communities it serves, Sparklight®, a leading broadband provider, recently donated 50 Chromebooks to the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Permian Basin in Odessa, Texas.
“These Chromebooks from Sparklight will allow us to expand our programming for youth and enable our kids to access a wide array of educational content via our MyFuture platform,” said Andra Jones, Executive Director of Boys & Girls Clubs of the Permian Basin. “The Chromebooks will also help us to enhance staff training so that we can meet the needs of our kids' more effectively. Thank you, Sparklight, for this incredible opportunity!”
Over the past nine years, Sparklight has donated nearly 3,000 Chromebooks to schools and community centers across its footprint.
“We recognize the critical importance that access to technology plays in helping ensure the children in our community achieve academic success,” said Sparklight Regional General Manager Jonathan Brisco. “Helping our local Boys & Girls Clubs increase access to technology for students and community members will improve education and benefit the communities where we live and work for the long term.”
Through educational programs and donations of time and resources, Sparklight seeks to make a positive impact in the cities and towns it serves, concentrating its support in the areas of education and digital literacy; food insecurity; and community development.The donation of these laptops is an extension of existing corporate social responsibility efforts by the Cable One family of brands (Sparklight®, Fidelity Communications, Hargray, ValuNet Fiber and CableAmerica).
Other corporate social responsibility efforts supported by Cable One include:
- Supporting national organizations dedicated to advancing education and diversity, including the Emma Bowen Foundation and the National Diversity Council.
- Supporting the mission of Special Olympics, which provides year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports, as well as health, arts, leadership, and advocacy programs for children and adults with intellectual disabilities.
- Planting trees through the Arbor Day Foundation on behalf of customers who switch to paperless billing. Since 2015, the company has planted 130,000 trees in its markets and national forests within the company’s footprint.
- Supporting the mission of Keep America Beautiful in cleaning up and beautifying communities across the U.S.
- Raising funds for Feed My Starving Children to make a difference in the lives of hungry kids around the world. Since 2018, Cable One has donated more than 46 tons of food to local food banks and nearly $400,000 to address food insecurity.
The Charitable Giving Fund annually awards $250,000 in grants to local 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations served by the Cable One family of brands. Nonprofit organizations may apply for grants during open application periods each spring and fall. Applications for fall 2023 grants will be accepted between October 1-31, 2023. For more information about the Sparklight Charitable Giving Fund, please visit https://www.sparklight.com/charitablegiving.
Sparklight® is a leading broadband communications provider and part of the Cable One family of brands, which serves more than one million residential and business customers across 24 states. Powered by a fiber-rich network, Sparklight provides consumers with a wide array of connectivity and entertainment services, including high-speed internet and advanced Wi-Fi solutions, cable television and phone service. Sparklight Business provides scalable and cost-effective products for businesses ranging in size from small to mid-market, in addition to enterprise, wholesale and carrier customers.
Aaron ScherleExternal Communications Manager